Sunday, April 13, 2014

Mission Accomplished: Cello Acquired

Friends, it is with a happy heart that I tell you... I got a cello! And because I finally got a hold of a cello, Elaina was able to teach me techniques/fingerings/how to hold the darn thing in the time we had. Even though I've barely played it, I know it's going to be a total blast learning how to play and I'm so excited :)

Elaina taught me a scale, showed me how to play the classic "Hot Cross Buns", and sent me home with a couple of beginners books (which I have yet to crack open... I'm determined to master H.C.B. before I do so). I knew that playing a stringed instrument was obviously going to be different from playing a woodwind instrument, but it's such a dramatic change; I'm hoping that with more practice I become more comfortable with the cello and don't have to look at my finger placements in-between every note (it's a painfully-slow process to watch).

Sadly, we ran out of time on Friday before Elaina could show me what she worked on with her flute over spring break, but I'm sure it was perfected-- she's seriously a natural!

I'll try to remember to post a picture of me with my cello next time. I'll hold off posting a video until I get better... Trust me, I'm doing you a favor.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is really cool that you two are teaching each other. Keep up the good work and congrats on getting a cello.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are doing great and having fun!!! I will definitely keep looking at your blog. I look forward to seeing your video and the picture!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete